Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cambodia: 2003

The manner in which my discourse is presented in these blogs is often a reflection of the music that is surrounding my current atmosphere. Currently I am listening to Jade Kwan's "We Will Worship" song, (for those fans of Jade Kwan out there, me and her used to go to the same church back in Hong Kong). Anyhow, the lyrics and tonality of the song when mashed with my current state of (internal and external) being produce a moment of reminiscence. So here goes:

For those of you who have been talking to me over the past while, you probably would have heard me mention my trip to Cambodia last summer. But what you probably didn't hear me talk about much is my trip to Cambodia in 2003. I remember when I was back in 11th grade, still young and foolish (and of course now the only difference is I am old and foolish). Back when all that mattered was the company, when food was mysteriously cooked and put on a plate in front of you each evening, and when a ten page essay was considered long.

I remember sitting on the plane to go to Cambodia. No one was on the plane except for our group of people which consisted of two teachers and approximately 15 students. Thus, I clearly recall the pilot coming out and offering to showcase the cockpit to us.

I remember meeting the students at Logos on the first day. Unbounded, unrestrained, and free, what usually starts as an awkward silence instead started with roars of laughter and poking fun of each other. Surprisingly, Chinese chess was a great "interaction" starter (I hesitate to use to the word "conversation" starter because back then we weren't interested in merely conversing, but instead we were interested in interacting).

I remember climbing up Angkor Wat early in the morning (5am?) with the eerie musical instruments being played by locals on the side as we went up.

And most of all, I remember being on top of Angkor Wat. The fresh crisp morning air dancing about the morning rays of the sun. As if God was holding the universe in his hands while the radiance of his being shone through the clouds. This was a space where each person was free to be who he was. Each person was able to be attuned to nature and be free. The children skirmished around the rocks and challenged each other to see who could perform the greatest stunt. The monk sat on the broken pillar beginning his day with cigarettes and beer. The tourists smiling and posing for pictures on top of Angkor Wat, declaring their accomplishment for making it up.

And us? Well, we sang.






1 comment: