Thursday, January 6, 2011

God's Will

What is God's Will for us?

People these days "spend money they don't have to buy things they don't need to make impressions that wont last on people they don't care about". - Tim Jackson

The above quote, in it's entirety, is a description of the average American, presented at a TED talk by Tim Jackson, a professor of the "Sustainable Development and Director of the Research group on Lifestyles, Values and Environment (RESOLVE)".

Although not quite an adjective for the common folk within my circle of friends, the quote isn't completely untrue either. In my peripheral and in my life as well, I often see a lot of truth in the 2nd and 3rd points. In other words, we buy what we don't need to make impressions that wont last. The problem is: more often than not, we don't know it.

A merchandise which serves as the epitome of the two points is buying clothes. We always "need" clothes, and always have a reason to buy more. Here are some of the excuses I have used in the past:

(1) I am out of fashion.
(2) Need some nicer clothes for semi casual events or casual interviews.
(3) My shirts are my limiting factors to do laundry, but buying more shirts I can save money by doing less laundry loads.
(4) I need to impress that girl!
(5) My mom would want to see me in new clothes and look nice.

Needless to say, of course there are situations in which purchasing certain items are indeed necessary. But too often our desire creates a reason (instead of reason creating desire) which leads to a conscious decision of throwing more money away for the sake of a temporary boost in image (as is mostly the case).

As Romans 12 puts it: Therefore, I urge your brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will.

The answer to the question is right there: to transform your mind so that you live in a world higher than the earthly world. To no longer live, but to have Christ living in you. That then, I believe, is how you can figure out God's will for yourself.









1 comment:

  1. this is the third time i'm writing this >.< i keep getting distracted and closing the tab =P
    but just wanted to say thanks for sharing your thoughts =) and yes, that Romans 12 passage is such a great reminder that we really don't have to look further than fix our eyes back on God!

    ReplyDelete